Monday, April 12, 2010

Roadside Excitement!

I left home at 2:50 pm to pick my son up after school. We got home around 3:30 to find the brush on the opposite side of the road from our house on fire. In this photo you can just see the haze of smoke - this was the smaller of the two fires.
Down the road the fire was blazing a little higher.
This is just in front of our property. The big guy with the hose is a friend from church. :-) They got the fire put out and everything dampened down. The fireman who came to talk to me afterward said there were two separate fires and they weren't intentional ones set by the homeowner across the road. I really hope it wasn't set by kids playing around. It's a lovely, breezy spring day so it could quite easily have gotten out of hand. I am very thankful for our volunteer firefighters!

2 comments:

Kim said...

whew- glad they stopped it before it came any closer! Very scary!! I'm thankful for your volunteer fire department too!!

De said...

Thanks, Kim. I was most concerned about losing power. The flames were licking the base of the main power pole to our house. Also, there's a little house on that side of the road that could have been in trouble. I really wonder how the fire started.