Thursday, December 13, 2012

I love thrift stores!

 I had to pick up a prescription today in a nearby town that has both a Goodwill and a Salvation Army store. I had to make quick stops at both, ;). I found the rocking horse and fireplace frame to use in the elf house. The table and chairs are half scale and very detailed. I will find a home for them somewhere.


The best purchases were this stable and sheep. Last year I made a nativity set for my older daughter. This year middle gets her set. She liked this Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus that I made many years ago when I first started making dolls. They used to be mounted on a wooden plaque base. I freshened them up, repaired damages and repainted where necessary. Now they look quite at home in the stable. The sheep was a lucky find - a random nativity piece with no other pieces. He's very nicely scaled for this setting. I need to shop in a few more thrift stores and farm supply stores to find more animals, though. The cat on the barrel in the back was also added by me. Not pictured but now in the scene is a rustic pot back by the barrel. The animals need water, you know. :) The star is a polymer clay ornament I made several years ago. It covers a flaw at the peak of the stable.

Oh, and I also found a denim skirt and a sweater and some ornaments for the tree today. Not a bad haul for less than an hour between the two stores, lol.

I hope you are all having a wonderful week!

3 comments:

Lucille said...

Thrift stores can be so much fun! I haven't been for quite a while. I guess I'm due for a visit soon. Even when I don't find anything, I still enjoy poking around in everything. I love the hair on your Mary doll. You had some very interesting finds. I love that little horse!

Marisa said...

thift stores are fun to go to but if you see something you bettr grab it before someone else comes and picks it up

I love your Manger scene

Love
Marisa :)

Drora's minimundo said...

Great finds! Your dolls are fantastic. Wow, you are a very talented lady.
Hugs, Drora