Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Crooked House Layers Club - mini style

 Warning: This is a picture heavy post!  I'd been thinking about making a mini chicken coop and run since shortly after we finished our real one. I had one of the smallest sized paper mache houses from Hobby Lobby that looked like I could make work. I didn't use the roof that came with the house at all. I cut the sides on an angle so I could have a sloped roof like our real coop. I made all the hens. There's Electra in one of the nest boxes.
 This coop has a metal roof with a skylight. The real one isn't quite that cool, LOL. I even made the Crooked House sign in mini.
 Here's Aurora resting on the veranda and rooster, Henry, on the Grand Boardwalk. {Hubby's names. ;-)}
 Inside, one of the Spice Girls is enjoying her dinner. I can't tell all the Buff Orpingtons apart yet so they are collectively The Spice Girls. One of them has dark speckles all over the tips of her tail feathers. She's Pepper.
 Here's a progress shot of the inside. I made the feeder and waterer from small and large dessicant capsules from medication bottles. The chicken feed was made with the stuff inside the capsule mixed with paint.
 Here's the window side of the mini coop. You can see the real one in the photos below. It isn't an exact copy but I think I caught the "flavor" of the real one in my mini version. The next step will be making the mini chicken run and then trying to replicate some of our more exotic chickens in mini. I'm not sure how I'll pull that off. ;-D



5 comments:

Giac said...

Hello De,
It is perfect. Very well done!
Big hug,
Giac

WhimsyCottageMinis said...

Really cute. And I love the name, too! :)

De said...

Thank you both!

Whims, we built the real coop from an existing bus shelter that was dragged halfway across the yard to its current location. As Hubby is not a builder, the original building was anything but square. ;-) He came up with the name.

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

De, your chicken coop is so very cute! Love it! Both of my grandma's had chickens when I was growing up so chickens and chicken coops always make me smile. I was cleaning out a medicine cabinet the other day and saw those dessicant capsules and wondered how one might use those for minis but then I threw them away! Great idea to use them as feeders!
Have a great rest of your week,
Gina

KathyB. said...

Love it !!! ( squawk ! )